Review: SKIPPING STONES by J.B. McGee

They say there are five stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.

Not everyone will grieve in this order, nor will everyone go through every stage. It’s during the stage of denial when Alex Hart meets Andrew Foster. He takes her one-step closer to acceptance: the stage when new, meaningful relationships are formed. The stage when the realization occurs that this is now the new state of normal.

Just when Alex thinks she is on her way to healing, she enters the bargaining phase. That’s the phase where you wonder what you could have done differently. You wonder “what if?” Specifically, what if the ones you loved hadn’t left you?

Leaving…this is what makes heading off to war so difficult and frightening for Alex. She knows all too well what it’s like to be the one on the losing end of life, which is why she’s made it her personal mission in life to save as many lives as possible. The extreme high she gets from treating trauma victims turns into Alex’s own form of therapy, or so she thinks.

When faced with her world being turned upside down, Alex may just find that her true therapy is in the one who has always saved her.
Add to GOODREADS.

Review:

WOW, what a truly amazing book!!  I was hooked in the first chapter and could not put it down until I finished!!  What a breath of fresh air to have such a tender story. It is so rare to find one with so much heart and meaning to it.  It deals with the stages of grief and what a person must go through to survive those emotions.  
 
Alex Hart has been destroyed by tragedy in her young life.  She is forced to deal with more heartache than seems possible.  While staying at her grandparents’ house, she meets Andrew Foster at the creek near their house.  She is immediately drawn to Drew and feels guilty for having any feelings toward him.

“He is the comfort my soul needs.” - Alex

Drew is a lost soul and has his secrets but when he meets Alex, he feels at peace.  He is so comfortable with her and looks forward to seeing her at their special place.

“You’re the only one in this world who has ever gotten to see into my soul.” – Drew

Through their struggles, I kept pulling for them throughout the entire book.  Once you find that special someone, you don’t want to let them go.  Alex is going through her own heartbreak and is falling for Drew and falling hard.  Drew feels the same way and never realized how happy he could truly be.

“You’ve given me everything I didn’t know was possible, Alex.  You’ve given me the world.” - Drew

This book really pulled at my heart in more ways than one.  First, it’s set in the South and being a Southern girl myself, I really loved seeing the little things that people seem to take for granted, like ‘skipping stones’.  Second, the relationship Alex has with her grandparents reminded me so much of my relationship with my own and how much I miss them.  The sincerity, the advice; to me, there is nothing like that kind of love.   This is not a hot and sexy book, but full of love and emotion.  It is books like these that will really make you stop and think about life.  I easily give this book 5 stars but as far as in my personal book, I give it a 10!!  

One of my favorite quotes from this book - “But God gives us the people we need in our lives for the amount of time he sees fit.”


Purchase

No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!