Review: Present Perfect by Alison G. Bailey

"I’ve been unsure about many things in my life except for one thing, that I have always loved him. Every single minute of every single day that I have been on this earth, my heart has belonged to him. It has never been a question, never a doubt. The love had taken on many different forms over the years, but it had always been a constant. 

Everyone has their definition of love. There have been countless songs sung about it. A gazillion books, articles, and poems written about it. There are experts on love who will tell you how to get it, keep it, and get over it.

We’re led to believe love is complicated. It’s not the love that’s complicated. It’s all the crap that we attach to it and put in front of it that makes it difficult. If you’re smart, you’ll realize this before it’s too late and simplify."
-----------------------------------------------------
Amanda Kelly spent her entire life trying to control every aspect of it, while striving for perfection. Her obsession with being perfect, along with her feelings of worthlessness, consumed her. The one thing she thought was perfect in her life was the bond she shared with her best friend, Noah.
Everything was going according to her life plan until she woke up one day and realized she had fallen in love with him. The one thing she couldn’t control was the affect he had on her. Noah had the power to give her one hundred lifetimes of happiness, which also gave him the power to completely devastate her. He was the one thing in her life that was perfect, but she couldn't allow herself to have him.

Her life begins to unravel. Events take over and force her to let go of her dreams and desires. She needs to realize that a person cannot control the events in their life, only their reaction to them...but will it be too late for her to save her relationship with her best friend? Present Perfect is a story of how past events have present consequences and how perfect your present could be if you stopped fighting and just allowed it to happen.
Add to GOODREADS.

Review

I finished Present Perfect a few days ago and I am still unsure on how I really want to rate the book. If I hadn’t had the time to think about the book before writing my review it would have gotten a solid 4, but the more I think about it, the less I love it. 

Amanda, aka “Tweet” and Noah have been friends and soul mates pretty much since birth. The majority of the book was about them growing up together, as kids, pre-teens, and teenagers. The beginning of the Present Perfect I enjoyed, as I learned about their relationship, it was cute and sweet, but it soon became frustrating. Amanda has this idea of “perfect” in her head and she thinks she isn’t perfect enough for Noah. As they develop feelings for each other she only wants to stay friends. There was a lot of back and forth and jealously and crying and chocolate cake. I wanted to scream at Amanda and tell her she was good enough and I wanted to shake Noah and tell him to try harder. I just wanted to bang my head on the wall and get this book over with. I’m not one to normally fault characters on those types of things and I would normally say it is human nature, it’s real, but in this case it was all so drawn out that it became annoying.

Then I hit 75% of the book or so. It was a whole different book all of a sudden. I was ugly crying, and I mean UGLY CRYING, and asking “WHY?!” Everything starts happening so fast and I was in a whirlwind of emotion. The last 25% of the book was my favorite; everything is put into perspective for Amanda. I finally liked Amanda. Now, Noah is another story, I have a bone to pick with him about a few things, but that’s for another day. The story came together and it was amazing. Then I had prepared myself for the worst possible ending, I thought I knew what was coming, and I was completely wrong. I won’t say I’m unhappy with the ending, I am happy with how it all turned out. I was just expecting something different. After everything I went through with Present Perfect, the ending just didn’t match the angst of the story for me.

Present Perfect was extremely well written and had beautiful wording. It was full of emotion, angst, and heartbreak. I loved the first and last 25% of the story. It’s that 50% in the middle where things went downhill for me. But if you enjoy a ridiculous amount of angst and heartbreak, this is definitely the book for you. 

Purchase

 B&N


No comments

Post a Comment

All comments welcome!